If you are aspiring for a urbane, luxurious lifestyle with a plush job in hand or you want to see yourself in one of your dream universities abroad, it is necessary to clear an English speaking exam IELTS as a prerequisite for the selection process.
IELTS tests on the English proficiency of non native speakers for the countries where English is not an official language. It not only tests on your written and spoken English but also on comprehension and receptive skills through reading and listening module.
IELTS is managed by: University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council or IDP: IELTS Australia thus you can either appear through IDP or British Council depending on the dates available.
The IELTS exam format comes in academic or general training where general writing is for migrations while academic writing is for study abroad, with variation in the reading and writing components. You can choose the best IELTS Test format for you..
It is a 2.5 hour exam conducted at a stretch on the same day for which you get the slot, with no break in between the modules. All the modules are on a scale of band 9.
The exam comprises of the four modules: listening, reading, writing and speaking where listening , reading and writing happens together whereas speaking happens on a different day within a week before or after the main exam. The speaking dates are also intimated to you only a week before the main exam.
This is the first module of the main exam. It consists of 4 sections and these are arranged in the increasing order of difficulty. The audios last for about 35 minutes and 10 minutes are given extra in the end to transfer the answers in the OMR sheet. There is no replay of the audios so one should answer the questions along with the audios.
The first section is a conversation between the two speakers, second is a monologue, third is the conversation between 2-4 speakers and last section is a monologue.
The first two sections are based on easy, social topics and the last two sections are based on difficult academic topics, densed with lots of information.
THE CHALLENGES OF THE LISTENING MODULE
1. Pronunciation or the accent of the speaker : Since the conversations involve multiple speakers, differentiating between the various speakers with different dialects is a challenge. Moreover, there are many words used which have spellings different to their pronunciation. To exemplify, there are many words like talk, walk, know, debut with silent letters so there are high chances of candidates making spelling errors losing points.
Thus it is important to get acquainted with few important concepts of phonetics to be able to understand the various speakers in the conversations.
2. Unfamiliar topic : Practice is the key to success is the tip to encounter this as getting familiar with different types of topics and speakers is crucial for smooth listening and better understanding of the sections.
3. Indirect questions : The options given in the questions are mostly implied and not direct. Rarely are exact words picked up from the conversations most of the time they are paraphrased and indirect, forcing you to think and not answer the questions at the first instant or in haste.
Listening module follows clerical system of evaluation where you lose your point even with a minor spelling or a grammatical error.
This is the second module of the main exam and it tests you on your cognitive and analytical capabilities. It consists of 3 or 4 passages though the standard format is 3 passages and these are arranged in the increasing order of difficulty. The duration is 60 minutes and there is no extra given to transfer the answers in the OMR sheet.
CHALLENGES IN THE READING MODULE
1. Time Management : Since the time is limited and tasks to accomplish, optimising the available time so as to give ample time to each passage is a big challenge. Candidates sometimes end up giving more time to first two passages, which are supposedly easy in topic and left with least time for the hardest one. That’s when they start losing their confidence.
2. Unfamiliar topic : Practice is the key to success is the tip to encounter this as getting familiar with passages different types of topics is crucial for smooth reading n better comprehension of the sections.
3. Indirect questions : The questions given appear easy but mostly the options with these are indirect and paraphrased. Rarely are there fact or figure based questions and wrong options are framed in such a way that they look correct n similar to the actual answer. These traps are set by examiner to confuse the candidate so that they answer the first thing that appears correct without even reasoning out other options thus applying different strategies for different question formats is important.
Reading module follows clerical system of evaluation where you lose your point even with a minor spelling or a grammatical error.
This module has two tasks. The first task is letter writing for general training and summarize written text (bar graphs, pie charts) for academic training. Through these tasks, the candidate is tested on one’s creative and productive skills.
The duration is 60 minutes. Task 1 is evaluated on a scale of band 3 and task 2 on a scale of band 6.
The writing score helps in assessing one’s grasp over English language and the flow of the thought process of the candidate through his writings. This escapes the initial screening process for the organizations to select the right candidate.
CHALLENGES OF THE WRITING MODULE
1. Sometimes the candidate has good writing skills but the way he addresses the topic is inappropriate. He may have covered many points but they may not be relevant to the topic n not support the stand taken. Topic development plays an imperative role in achieving a high band.
2. Sometimes the candidate understands the topic but he is not able to put forth his opinion correctly due to lack of vocabulary or grammatical errors. Being presentable is crucial to maintain the interest of the examiner in your writings.
A good writing is a blend of impressive writing skills and right approach towards the topic.
This module happens on another day within a week before or after the main written exam. It is a face to face interaction between the examiner and the candidate which lasts for about 11-14 minutes.
CHALLENGES OF THE SPEAKING MODULE
These are the two important parameters that the candidate is tested on.
1. Most of the candidate can speak very well, being working professionals but since they try to answer in haste n do not listen to the questions carefully, they answer incorrectly. Good speaking skills will not help you sail through if you produce wrong content and you will be penalized with a low band.
2. Few minor grammatical errors can be ignored in case of right content produced for the questions asked.
A good interaction is a blend of impressive speaking skills n right approach towards the topic.
WHY IS IELTS SO CRUCIAL AND UNIQUE?
- The test makers gauge the candidates on their conversational skills, analytical and comprehension abilities through their bands in reading and speaking section. The listening and the writing score helps in assessing one’s grasp over English language and the flow of the thought process of the candidate through his writings. This escapes the initial screening process for the organizations to select the right candidate.
- The exam dates are easily available and if you don’t achieve satisfactory results, you can take the exam again and then consider your best scores.
WHAT MAKES ASPIRE GLOBAL SO DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
- The training curriculum is structured in such a way that basics are taken in detail, adapting to varied English proficiency skills , to implementation of the concepts learned.
- The unique selling point of our organization is that it is result driven. We give all the flexibility to our students to attend any/ all the batches and take as many repeat sessions with any new batch as well, till the test date.
- Unlimited practice and query sessions with the faculty or whatever it takes for excellent and desired results.
- Extra classroom sessions that help improvise your writing and speaking skills.
- Regular feedback sessions and assisted reviews in all the modules.
- Special attention is given to students who are not well versed with the language.
- Weekdays and Weekend Batches are available.
- WE HAVE 90% SUCCESS RATE WITH MOST OF OUR STUDENTS SCORING 7+ BAND.
AS IT IS RIGHTLY SAID ‘BIG RESULTS ARISE FROM BIG AMBITIONS’, WE OFFER YOU UNPARALLELED LEARNING EXPERIENCE INSTILLING THE RIGHT ATTITUDE AND CONFIDENCE THAT WILL HELP YOU REALIZE YOUR AMBITIONS AND DREAMS EASILY.