top of page
  • Payal

Canada as a study destination

With the world's most prestigious universities and colleges, Canada has become one of most desired destinations for international students and the numbers have increased exponentially in the last couple of years.

According to the latest QS World University Rankings 2022, 26 Canadian universities are among the top 1,000 best places to study, with ten ranking in the top 25%. Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec are the most popular Canadian provinces for international students. Many of Canada’s top universities are located in these 3 provinces.


A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows you to remain in Canada and work full time after you complete a certificate, diploma or degree that is at least 8 months in length.

The length of the work permit ranges from a minimum of 8 months to a maximum of 3 years based on the official length of your program, not the amount of time spent completing program requirements. If you complete a 4-year undergraduate degree, you are eligible for a 3 year PGWP.

To be eligibile for a PGWP:

  • Successful completion of a program of study of minimum duration of eight months that led to a degree, diploma or certificate.

  • Student must have studied full-time each academic session without taking time away from studies. This does not include scheduled program breaks, such as winter break or summer break for undergraduate students.

  • Student must have completed at least 50% of your program in Canada, which is calculated based on the number of courses completed in Canada.

  • Student must have completed at least 50% of your program in-person.


International students are eligible to work in Canada while studying, if their study permit includes a condition that says they can work on or off campus. One can only start working in Canada when he/she starts the study program and not before the studies begin.

Working more than 20 hours per week is a violation of the study permit conditions. The candidate can lose the student status for doing this, and may not be approved for a study or work permit in the future. This may lead to visa cancelation and the student may also have to leave the country.


Most of the students pursue the academic route to get a PR and successfully settle in Canada. According to a survey conducted, it was found about one-third of international students want to immigrate to Canada upon completion of their studies. The additional points that students get for a Canadian education are a powerful incentive for them to study in Canada.

After one year of study, one can apply for PR in Canada. If you are applying for Canadian PR via Express Entry and have Canadian Education, you can claim 30 CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) points. If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, grab a total of 30 points, and pump your CRS scores.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page